We truly believe the overwhelming majority of ALBALOO users are trustworthy and well-intentioned. Even though it’s a friendly community, following simple precautions helps making ALBALOO safer for everyone:
- Try to deal with folks you can meet in person - follow this one rule and avoid many of the scam attempts.
- Try to avoid wire funds via Western Union, Moneygram or any other wire services toward purchase of a product - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
- ALBALOO is not involved in any transactions, does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, offer "buyer protections" or "seller certifications".
- A buyer should not have to give out any personal or financial information (such as bank account number, social security number, Ebay/PayPal info, etc.) to purchase an item. Be aware of merchants asking for such details.
- Practice cautioned about deals involving shipping or escrow services.
- Be cautioned about items and housing offerings that might appear to be lower than market value, specially if you are not having a chance to visit the item in person and qualify its validity. In the pasts many people have been offered too good to be true deals only to find out such an item did not exist or the seller did not have the authority to sell it.
- Do not submit to credit checks or background checks for a job or for housing until you have met the interviewer or landlord/agent in person, or if you can MAKE SURE they have legitimate authority to do the check.
- When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high-value items
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- Inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consummating transaction
WHO SHOULD I NOTIFY ABOUT FRAUD OR SCAM ATTEMPTS?
- If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
- If you suspect that an ALBALOO post may be part of a scam, please send us the details at email@example.com.